? ??????????????Crystal Drops? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.2 (47 Ratings)??2958 Grabs Today. 29176 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????This Beating Heart? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (26 Ratings)??2803 Grabs Today. 23562 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????1? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, April 01, 2005

Organ Donation

April is National Organ Donation and Transplantation Awareness month. This topic, as many know, is very near and dear to my heart. In June of 1998, an organ donor saved my father's life. Afer suffering from CPOD (chronic pulmonary obstruction disorder- emphysema and chronic bronchitis) for about five years, my father began a long process to become listed for a lung transplant. He was listed in late May of 1998 and about three short weeks later he received a call that a possilbe donor had been found. Dad received the donors left lung, which increased his lung function from about 20% to nearly 90%.
We don't know much about my dad's donor. He was killed near the Cincinnati area in a motorcycle accident and was just 16 years old. Donation is the most amazing thing to me. I think most people don't give donation much thought, and it's probably the last thing on their minds when standing in line at the BMV. Those who do make the decision to share their life probably don't realize all the good it can do. The families who are able to step away from their own grief and mourning and decide to donate a loved one's organs most likely know that they are doing something good, but I highly doubt if they know the true scope of it. Each recipient's life is extended. Their quality of life is heightened. Their families are able to have them in their lives just that much longer. My father has been able to see my high school and college graduation. He walked my sister down the aisle at her wedding. He celebrated his 30th wedding anniversary with my mom. But most importantly he has been able to live his life every day for the last seven years. Dad's donor and his family have given such a great gift to him and our family. I am forever grateful to them.
If you have not considered being an organ donor before, I hope that you will think about it this month. It is important to share your decision with your family; by talking about your wishes, your family will know what decision to make should they be placed in the situation. You can get more information at www.donatelife.net

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow mandy, that was great!! its good to hear you talk about it, and it makes me think to become a donor!!