? ??????????????Crystal Drops? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.2 (47 Ratings)??2958 Grabs Today. 29176 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????This Beating Heart? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (26 Ratings)??2803 Grabs Today. 23562 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????1? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Movies

As per my usual routine, I rented a few movies and watched them on my first night off. Unfortunately, I am out of Vince Vaughn movies to see (if anyone can find me a copy of Just Your Luck, let me know). I decided to get The Notebook and Closer. I was excited to see both of them, especially The Notebook since both Bruce and JoRo said it made them cry. I have to say that I was severly disappointed. It was a cute love story, but I just wasn't that moved by the whole thing.
Now Closer on the other hand, was great. I was a bit taken aback by the vulgarity of the language. I know what your thinking, it must have been pretty crazy to make an impression on me! I guess I just wasn't expecting it. But the movie has really been making me think ever since I finished it. I keep wondering why Alice never told Dan her real name, but was able to do so with Larry. The thought is still very incomplete.
I really really liked the movie though. It was actually kind of painful to watch parts of it. While both the Dan and Anna characters were coming clean to their respective partners, I totally understood the feelings in the conversations. I could relate to Alice not being able to understand how anyone could cheat. I also understood Larry's need to know details but still being revolted by them.
I think the most striking thing about the movie is actually a very small detail. When Alice and Dan meet, he confesses that he has a girlfriend named Ruth, yet he can't pull himself away. Obviously he leaves Ruth for Alice and then Alice for Anna, and Alice is surprised. I find so much truth in Dan's character. If a man is willing to cheat- to leave someone he loves, or once loved, for someone else, what's to say that he won't do it again. What makes one woman so special or so much better? Whose to say that another more special even better woman is going to come along. And the "other woman" seems to delude herself into thinking that now that he's with her, he'll stay put. Cheating is just not the answer. Never.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Closer had an intelligence to it, but I really didn't think the material got you close to the characters. It also got rather frustrating the jumps in time it took and you had to catch up. Clive Owen was great though.